make-w32

Re: Minor patch to correct buffer overrun

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Minor patch to correct buffer overrun
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:30:55 -0400

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 11:24 -0400, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> I'm rebuilding again with the sed command included and I'll upload a
> third 3.82 build to mingw.org and drop the original ill-advised patch.

I'm not at all convinced that there's not still a bug here.  The fact
that we can force a core dump by providing a very long filename is a bug
in make; there's nothing (that I can recall) in make that checks the
names of targets to ensure they don't exceed some certain length.  GNU
make, like all GNU software, has always been careful to avoid preset
maximums where possible [*]

Supposing that this separator was set properly.  What if someone used a
different separator, like ":", again?

Writing an incorrect makefile (like using the wrong separator) should
_never_ cause a core.

[*] yes, I know we don't always succeed!