mediagoblin-devel

[GMG-Devel] redmine vs. trac

From: will kahn-greene
Subject: [GMG-Devel] redmine vs. trac
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 07:35:17 -0400

Hi!

One of the things I worked on this week was moving us from the Foocorp Redmine issue tracker to something on our own server. I was originally planning to install Redmine on our own server, then transfer the data.

Yesterday, I spent a large chunk of the day working on installing Redmine. There are a series of problems, the biggest of which is that I have no familiarity with Rails, so there's a lot of stuff to come up to speed on. It's going to take me a lot longer to get it up and running than I thought it was going to. I'm also not enthused about a project infrastructure where each piece is written in a different language with a different architecture.

Even after I get it running, someone has to continue to maintain it going forward. That got me thinking about switching back to Trac.

Trac and Redmine are pretty similar and differ in two ways that I think affect us:

1. Trac is written in Python; Redmine is written in Ruby on Rails

2. Trac has a built-in keywords field; Redmine has no tags/keywords field, but there are two tagging plugins that add functionality

I've installed Trac, maintained it over time, and written plugins for it for a few projects I've worked on in the past. That was all with older versions of Trac than what's current.

Isn't migrating from Redmine to Redmine easier?

No. If we were definitely running the same versions of everything as Foocorp, then that reduces the problems. However, I'm pretty sure we're not doing that and Foocorp has multiple projects in their Redmine instance, so there are a handful of complexities and migrating the data is not a no-op.

Didn't you say you hated Trac?

In the past I've expressed ick feelings about Trac (and Redmine, too), but the last couple of months lead me to believe that this style of issue tracker fits this group best. I think that's really important. Further, I think this community will be much better at bug triage than other projects I've used Trac on and that alleviates the bulk of my problems with Trac. Also, it's been a couple of years since I used Trac and it looks like they've improved some things since then.

I would like to switch to Trac. It will be a lot easier to install and maintain for me and it has tags/keywords built-in which I think is important for this project.

Is anyone against that?  If so, then we should discuss it.

If not, then I'll plan to use Trac and do the install and migration next week.

/will