mediagoblin-devel

Re: [GMG-Devel] writting media views mentoring, please!

From: Jorge Araya Navarro
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] writting media views mentoring, please!
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:07:39 -0600

El sáb, 16-06-2012 a las 09:44 -0500, Christopher Allan Webber escribió:
> Hi Jorge,
>
> I responded on-ticket:
>
> http://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/391#comment:4
>
> As said on there:
>  - This is kind of a tough task to take on, but if you're interested I'm
>    happy to walk you through it
>  - I think we need to document how to extend media types!  Where's the
>    right place for this though?  The wiki?  The sphinx docs?  Given that
>    we're expanding the docs to include plugin authoring, maybe that is
>    the right place.
>  - One reason for me making this shift in employment is so I can be
>    helpful to people on learning these types of things and mentoring.
>    :)  That said, there are a few other people around who know how to do
>    media types authoring.. Joar probably more than anyone.  So pinging
>    on IRC still might be a good way to go.
>
> As I said, I'm taking this weekend as a "vacation" of sorts from
> MediaGoblin hacking, but will be around to be more helpful next weekend.
>
>  - Chris
>

> Jorge Araya Navarro <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hello people!
> >
> > I want to add a couple of views for some media types (see bug #391), but
> > this stuff of writing media views looks tricky and I want some mentoring
> > on this issue.
> >
> > cheers!

> Jetzt mitmachen und zwei Shopping-Gutscheine - 1000 !
> http://click.lavabit.com/4qio8zqz1tba9pnxs8gq875yfj6tfq19ubimbsoaspz1qnqrhkxy/
Yo!

OK, my doubts are:
* where should I place the files for new media types
(project-mediagoblin/mediagoblin/media_types)?
* what are the minimum files for a new media type (migrations.py
models.py  processing.py  transcoders.py)?
* what is the exact purpose of every python file for the new media
type?
* what should be imported on those files and why?
* what should be done on html and statics files to make the media type
available?

with these simple questions maybe someone more experienced hacker can write a
doc about the issue
cheers!
--
Jorge Araya Navarro
Universitario, idealista y pseudo-activista del Software Libre.