mediagoblin-devel

Re: [GMG-Devel] Pugins plans

From: Joar Wandborg
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Pugins plans
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:54:04 +0100

On 01/11/2013 10:04 PM, Tumulte Dogma wrote:
Hey guys !

<snip>
There's also a really tricky part... I got to discuss with you how
complicated it would be to import current users.
Basically we got 24 000 users on a mysql DB. They use a php's crypt
authentication. Do you think there's any way to import them into a
mediagoblin instance ?

I think I have an answer to this.

- Load all the user data into the mediagoblin database with their existing password hashes, add an old-pass flag to each row imported this way. - For each login from an old user, authenticate them with their PHP password via a subprocess/system call to a PHP CLI program containing the PHP crypt logic from the old site. - For each login from an old user, prompt them to change their password or just enter the same password again, then store that password in the database and remove the old-pass flag.

This is just a broad overview over how it could work, implementation details may be easy if you don't have anything against diverting from the upstream MediaGoblin in your login handler.

Necessary hooks could be added to make it possible to write this into a plugin, thus allowing you to stay in sync with upstream mediagoblin.

I'm just trying to guess how hard it would be. It'll help me decide if I
do that now, later or never.

Thanks a lot,

all the best

T.:.E