monit-dev

Re: default monitrc permissions (distribution and CVS)

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: default monitrc permissions (distribution and CVS)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:35:06 +0100 (CET)

On 28 Oct 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > .. or to remove + add the file again via cvs.
>
> Thats whats came into mind, suggest that you try %-)
>
> > There's yet other view - from Rory.
> >
> > I'm +1 to change default monitrc permission to 0600, while i think
> > non-NFS environment for compilation is more usual and maybe for most
> > people it will be usefull to save this step. Even when you
> > prepare/compile monit from NFS share, you will need to change
> > permission at the end before starting monit (otherwise it will
> > refuse to start) => when we stay with 0644, it will save only one
> > step for this special case (NFS access).
>
> I'm also +1 and agree with your arguments, Martin. In addition it's
> nice that the user does not get an error message the first time he
> runs monit.

Or we can instead give the user a message like "Make sure that you set
the correct permission (0600) and user for your configuration file." after
"make" is done... just an idea.

But I think the majority of user don't use NFS for their "deep down in
the system" utilities.

+1 for 0600

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113