monit-dev

Re: Suggest using libESMTP Was: stuff to work on

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Suggest using libESMTP Was: stuff to work on
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:51:13 +0100

Mike Fleetwood <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Martin Pala wrote:
>> My priority list:
>>
>> 1.) SMTP update (message queue + state machine)
>> 2.) "up" event (ability to notice the bidirectional state transtition)
>> What do you think about it?
>>
>> Martin
>
> Please excuse me for jumping in without knowing anything about how monit
> queues and sends email or understanding what changes you are proposing to
> make, but would libESMTP <http://www.stafford.uklinux.net/libesmtp/> be of
> use to you in implementing the functionality?

Thanks for the suggestion! As Martin said, our design philosophy is to
depend on as few external libraries as possible. The rationale is that
users should not need to download X libraries just to compile monit.
On the other hand if we can integrate some code from libesmtp into
monit and it could save us some time it would be great. Anyway, it's
Martin's decision since he will implement this functionality.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland