monit-dev

Re: [monit-dev] Forked project on github.com and added a "set exec" feat

From: Andrew Forward
Subject: Re: [monit-dev] Forked project on github.com and added a "set exec" feature
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:35:56 -0400

Perfect.  I will take a look, and I eagerly await for the next major release fo Monit.

andrew f

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> wrote:
On Jul 28, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Andrew Forward wrote:

> I forked the monit project and put up my changes on github.com.
> https://github.com/aforward/monit
>
> I was looking for a feature similar to the one requested below:
>
>   "What I would like to do is: whenever I type "alert", send an e-mail AND run a certain script."
>   http://mmonit.com/wiki/Monit/Suggestions
> I am not a C/C++ developer so the implementation if very simplistic and not fault tolerant as shown in the implementation of "exec" when running things like "if failed... then exec".

If you replace alert with exec and have a 'set alert' statement in .monitrc, Monit will do this. That is, execute the script and send an alert. Though I admit that more flexibility is needed here. We are in the process of rewriting Monit (it takes time) and one of the things we plan to fix is to make the alert system a plugin-system. So whenever an event is raised, Monit will send the event to the alert system which can either send SMTP, a Jabber message, execute a script or call a user-written plugin to handle the event. This is what we kind of already do in M/Monit and the plan is to port this over to Monit. So I don't think we will use your stuff back in Monit, but it is great that you was able to fix and modify Monit to suit your needs.