monit-general

Re: Please help: monit alerts make qmail complain!

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Please help: monit alerts make qmail complain!
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:47:33 +0100

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Jeremy Henty <address@hidden> writes:

I am setting up monit for the first time to monitor AOLserver.  ATM,
I am running it in passive mode just to see what it does and does
not notice.  As a test I set the host to a bogus IP, and monit logs
these lines:

[GMT Jan 21 16:40:31] 'nsd' timed out when testing INET[192.168.1.45:80] [HTTP]
[GMT Jan 21 16:40:31] Sendmail error: 451 See
http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.

On a general note, someone ought to cover D. J. Bernstein with tar and
feathers for reading the RFC 822 like the devil reads the bible. Uhm,
that aside, I suspect the problem is partly due to the passive mode.
It's probably not tested much and when I look at the code I see now
that there is an error:

- smtp_alert_failed is used in validate:do_restart when in passive
   mode.

- In alert.c:smtp_alert the event is thus DO_FAILED but this is not
  in the notify[] array further down in the same function and thus
  trigger an alert_on_timestamp instead of a failed event.

(Martin, do you have time to fix this? If not, I can look into this a
bit later).
This one is fixed, the second one is strange. Can you sniff the communication and send the content of packets to the list Jeremy?

for example:

snoop -x 56 port 25 (solaris)
tcpdump -s 0 -xX port 25 (linux)

Thanks,