monit-general

monit won't ping (WAS: monit 4.1-beta2)

From: Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Subject: monit won't ping (WAS: monit 4.1-beta2)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 07:09:38 +0000 (UTC)

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> *  Changed the check host test so if an icmp ping test is defined,
>    this if-test will run first and if the ping test should fail we
>    assume that the connection to the host is down and monit does not
>    continue to test any port connections.

On my Debian/Linux box, running 2.4.21, monit 4.1-beta2 won't ping
at all unless the host is itself.  Monit happily telnets, or whatever,
to other hosts on the LAN - or even outside - but ping only seems to
work for the machine monit is running on.

(The hosts mentioned are, of course, pingable by hand.)

Anyone else experiencing this?

Cheers,

  // Klaus