monit-general

Re: What does this error really mean?

From: Ben Hartshorne
Subject: Re: What does this error really mean?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:18:48 -0700

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:48:16PM +0200, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> On 18. okt. 2005, at 18.59, Ben Hartshorne wrote:
>
> >The previous section generated:
> >
> >HTTP: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> >Does that error mean basically the same thing (that the connection
> >endpoint did not send data that monit was expecting to recieve), but
> >over HTTP instead of send/expect?
>
> Yes. Typically this will happen if the server shutdown a connection
> or refuse to send any data. A very busy (HTTP) server can do that.

The interetsing thing is that in this case, the HTTP server is at its
lowest traffic (almost - lowest is actually about 3am), though the
network is near its highest (because of backups).  We'll be getting a
new switch in a month or so that will likely solve this problem where it
really exists - in the switch fabric - but until then, I'm glad to help
testing Monit in a slightly less-than-robust environment.  :)

> >I'm getting these Resource temporarily unavailable errors in the
> >middle
> >of the night (my tests go over a local ethernet network). I'm
> >really not
> >sure why they're occuring.
>
> Cant help you there. Maybe a DHCP lease going south or whatnot. It
> should also be noted that the way monit currently read a line from a
> socket is by reading one-by-one byte, which may be vulnerable if the
> network is a bit shaky. I have updated the latest CVS to fix this. It
> may or may not help. I would be interested to know _if_ it helped
> though.

Thank you for that!  I'll get a fresh CVS checkout tomorrow and
recompile.  I should be able to let you know in a week or so if the
frequency of those errors dramatically decreases.

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: address@hidden