monit-general

Re: Feature request: UDP generic protocol testing

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Feature request: UDP generic protocol testing
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:26:23 +0200

On 25. okt. 2005, at 00.47, Alex Black wrote:

There are a number of things I'd like to test for using Monit that answer on UDP, for example SIP and IAX (voip protocols). Could functionality be added so send/expect can be used with UDP sockets as well as TCP stream sockets?

Yes, we seems to need UDP read/write support, I can look into it.

 Other ideas:
- Could monit support plugins for tests, making it easy for people to author their own tests?

We have discussed this before and decided against a plugin architecture. There are many reasons for this, one is that we want monit to be autonomic.

- As I emailed previously, being able to declare dependencies for monitoring of tests woudl be very helpful... Unless there is already a way to do this that I am missing :)

This is a good idea, one way to achieve this is to scope tests in blocks using {}, just like a standard programming language. For example

 if failed test {
    if test
 } else {
    if failed test else if test