monit-general

Re: Strategy for multi-distro .monitrc management?

From: rory
Subject: Re: Strategy for multi-distro .monitrc management?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:18:29 -0700

Martin Pala wrote:
Hi,

although the proposed solution may simplify the support of portable configuration, i think it will be better to use for example the mentioned m4 for the creating monit configuration from common source for various distributions.

From my point of view, the distribution of portable/conditional configuration won't be advantage for the end user since he/she will see lot of unnecessary informations, which will make the configuration hard to read. The preprocessed configuration for monit distribution for particular platform may be simpler to read/manage on target platform.

It may be also needed to distribute different binaries for various platforms - due to the different prerequisite libraries for example (such as openssl when enabled). The preprocessing of the configuration may be automated using custom script when building monit.

i think the implementation of preprocessor in monit configuration parser is not needed and is out of project scope - simple existing tools may serve for portable package creation.

I agree. What I do is have "snippets" of my monitrc file and I build a complete file from these snippets automagically based on OS and services that need to run.