monit-general

[monit] Feature request - read-only users for certain services

From: John Barton
Subject: [monit] Feature request - read-only users for certain services
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:12:34 -0600

I would like to toss out a feature request for the monit team to consider. I would like to be able to specify a user as having read-only access to certain services, and standard access for other services. Here is my situation:

We are running an authentication daemon to interface our systems with Active Directory, and we have had intermittent issues where the system loses the ability to authenticate people or someone's failure attempts are cached and they can not log into the machine even after the are placed into the correct security group. Usually, a restart of the process / clearing of the cache fixes the issue. I would like to be able to give our help desk access to the monit interface so they can view a read-only status of the server, but allow them to restart the authentication daemon in the event it doesn't work properly. It would be almost impossible to write a script for monit to use in order to check for the issue, because it could be specific to a single userid.

I picture something like this:

set httpd port 2812
       allow localhost
       allow 192.168.0.0/24
       allow md5 /etc/monit.passwd

check process auth_daemon with pidfile "/var/run/file.pid"
       start program = "/etc/init.d/authdaemon start"
       stop program = "/etc/init.d/authdaemon stop"
       if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

check process sshd with pidfile "/var/run/sshd.pid"
       start program = "/etc/init.d/sshd start"
       stop program = "/etc/init.d/sshd stop"
       if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
       allow helpdesk read-only

Thoughts?