monit-general

[monit] start starts before stop stops

From: monitml
Subject: [monit] start starts before stop stops
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:39:00 -0800

Not sure if this has been reported before, but with 5.0.3 if I do:
monit restart x

then the start for x in the log starts before the stop stops (the stop end time is not recorded in the log, unfortunately).
I tested by making stop something like:

#!/bin/sh +x
/bin/date
/usr/bin/killall java
/bin/date
/bin/sleep 3
/bin/date
/usr/bin/killall -9 java
...clean/remove some work files...
...grab a fresh copy of work files...
/bin/date

The problem is monit starts start before I get to even the killall -9 statement in the stop script.

I believe I understand the problem - monit immediately starts checking if the pid is still alive after it starts the stop script, then as soon as that pid is gone it starts the start script without waiting for the stop script to stop.

But I have to do some clean up after the process is dead (and I can't do it until the process is dead) and I don't want monit starting the start script until the stop script has stopped or a reasonable (settable?) timeout.

Does that make sense?