monit-general

More Logging

From: Bernd Wurst
Subject: More Logging
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:47:07 +0200

Hi.

First, Hello everybody, I'm new to this list. I use Monit for a few months now
but never had issues 'till now. :)

So, I noticed that Monit Log file does not contain much information about
*WHY* exactly some test fails. In the docs, I did not find something how to
increase log level, so I ask on this list.

I get some log lines like
SMTP: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable
along with
'mailserver' failed protocol test [SMTP] at INET[...:25] via TCP

In the past, this could have various reasons. So I would like to increase log
level so that I can distinguish a local issue (Monit runs on a virtual machine
that could be overloaded) from remote problems.

This time, it was a DNS issue on the server side, so the SMTP greeting did not
come just in time (timeout is set to 10 secs). This was hard to decide and
would have been easier if Monit would have logged something like "SMTP
timeout". :)

Does Monit have something to increase log level?