monit-general

Re: SMTP test failing, when others tests don't

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: SMTP test failing, when others tests don't
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:04:35 +0200

Hello Len,

the SMTP error is reported by monit protocol test after successful TCP connect
was established - monit didn't receive expected response. The telnet and nmap
-sT do only the TCP connect part, but do not perform the request/response phase.

To problem can be related to the following bug which is fixed in upcoming
monit-5.2.5 (to be released very soon):

--8<--
* Fix Debian bug #614984: smtp protocol test issues both EHLO and
  HELO.  Thanks to Sergey B Kirpichev for report.
--8<--

To verify the root cause, we need network trace of the communication between
monit and the SMTP server (for example using tcpdump).

Best regards,
Martin