monit-general

Re: slow to take action

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: slow to take action
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:28:25 +0300

On Jun 18, 2011, at 5:43 PM, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Nick Upson wrote:
>

>> Sorry I wasn't clear, the reason that restarting a local process takes a
>> long time is that monit is stepping through all the remote host checks, the
>> status says that the operation is pending, so it has received the
>> instruction, rather than just recording the request and doing it later,
>> could monit take the action immediately and then return to checking the
>> remote hosts.

When the action is requested (scheduled via http/CLI), main monit thread wakes
up immediately, walks the services list and performs the actions (no tests are
performed - the action is executed directly). The tests are started after all
actions were processed.

The "operation pending" message is displayed by the http interface until
refresh - the autorefresh equals to monit poll cycle length, so the action may
have been performed almost immediately after you requested it, but the client
still display the "pending" state (you can refresh the http interface manually
to re-read the state before autorefresh).

Regards,
Martin