monit-general

Re: pid change notice

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: pid change notice
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:31:54 +0200

On Mar 28, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Gerrit Kühn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder why I sometimes get PID change notices although there is
> obviously nothing changing:
>
> ---
> PID changed Service susepics
>
>       Date:        Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:44:08 +0200
>       Action:      alert
>       Host:        fe2
>
> PID changed Service susepics
>
>       Date:        Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:54:11 +0200
>       Action:      alert
>       Host:        fe2
>
> PID changed Service susepics
>
>       Date:        Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:59:22 +0200
>       Action:      alert
>       Host:        fe2
> ---
>

> As you can see, the PID stays the same all the time, it is still the same
> even now. The config line for this is
>
> ---
> check process susepics matching "\./g1susepics g1susepicsG1.cmd"
>       if changed pid for 3 cycles then alert
> ---
>
> The string is the full commandline, I am not aware of any other processes
> that might pop up and match the same line. I added the "3 cycles" to
> prevent getting these false alarms. I think it somehow worked, because I
> get them less often now, but still once or twice a day.
> Any idea what might be causing this and how to prevent it?

Hi,

Which Monit version it is? Please can you send full monit log? The pattern
based process check needs unique match - if there are more processes matching
the same pattern, the test may see different process (PID) during different
cycles. If the pidfile is available, it could be better choice if multiple
processes matching the same pattern are running.

Regards,
Martin