monit-general

set alert and generated alerts

From: Hendrik Hasenbein
Subject: set alert and generated alerts
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:00:45 +0200

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up monit to watch over a big amount of tomcats.
The configurations are generated for each running tomcat and deposited in a
conf.d. I run into two problems:

I tried to limit the amount of mails by including "but not on { instance,
nonexist }", but it seems I still get a mail for each monitor/unmonitor for
each check.

The second problem is that each mail contains the same $SERVICE. $ACTION is
honored (changes between batches of mail).

The checks are grouped into a file per tomcat with a single check looking like:

---snip
check file xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-su1-slow-requests with path
/opt/xxxx/xxxx-xxxxxxx/TomC/xxx-xxx-xxxx-su1/logs/slow-requests.log
  group "xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-su1"
  if match
    "^.*OutOfMemoryError.*$"
    then exec "/etc/monit/tools/tomcat-restart.sh
/opt/xxxx/xxxx-xxxxxxx/TomC/xxx-xxx-xxxx-su1" as uid tomcat and gid tomcat
  if match
    "^.*SEVERE: All threads .* are currently busy.*$"
    then exec "/etc/monit/tools/tomcat-restart.sh
/opt/xxxx/xxxx-xxxxxxx/TomC/xxx-xxx-xxxx-su1" as uid tomcat and gid tomcat
  set alert address@hidden but not on { instance }
  mail-format {
    from: address@hidden
    subject: $SERVICE $EVENT at $DATE
    message: Monit $ACTION $SERVICE at $DATE on $HOST: $DESCRIPTION.
    best regards,
    Hendrik Hasenbein
  }
  set mailserver x.24translate.de
---snap

The attached file contains a full group.

Thanks in advance,
Hendrik Hasenbein