monit-general

Re: Reset time patch

From: Alan DeKok
Subject: Re: Reset time patch
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 10:53:56 -0500

Martin Pala wrote:
> i think hardcoded time-driven spurious Monit reload could be dangerous ...
> let's say the user does some change to Monit configuration, which will
> contain syntax error and before he'll check the syntax with -t option (and
> fix), Monit will be automatically reloaded due to time step, which will
> effectively kill it when the configuration parsing will fail.

  You might try something like this:

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/master/scripts/git/post-receive

  We use it to put configuration into a git repo.  When commits get
pushed to the local configuration, the script is run.  It checks if the
configuration is clean, and if so, restarts the process.

  If the configuration doesn't work, the script complains.

  This gets two benefits.  One, you always know that the configuration
works.  And two, configuration changes are kept in a source control system.

  Alan DeKok.