monit-general

newbie: getting monit to watch for a pattern in logfile

From: Anthony Griffiths
Subject: newbie: getting monit to watch for a pattern in logfile
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 20:44:50 +0100

as a newbie to monit I'm having difficulty understanding how I get monit to watch for a particular text string (pattern?) in a logfile and then run a script when it finds it.
The manual page seems out of date and doesn't really correspond with the monit I've got.
I'm running a centos 6.5 server 64 bit and I installed monit via yum and ended up with monit-5.5-1.el6.rf.x86_64, there is no monitrc file however there is a monit.conf file which appears to be the control file.
I did check the examples and FAQ's and such in the wiki but I couldn't find how to do what I wanted. Thanks for any help.