monit-general

Re: How to handle locked/frozen monit?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: How to handle locked/frozen monit?
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:05:00 +0100

> On 09 Mar 2015, at 07:04, Adam Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Assuming you are running monit from init, it might work to do an
>>
>> init q
>>
>> to force init to rescan what it's running - then try killing it. Just
>> a guess really.
>>
>> Hmm, actually, I seem to recall hitting this once before, and I think
>> what it required was to comment out monit from the /etc/inittab, then
>> I was able to kill it. I think. It was a while back.
>
> Nah not running from inittab.  Looks like the "D" state it's stuck in
> is a kernel uninterruptible state, so monit must have done something
> that the kernel is now stuck in.
>
> I'm a bit surprised that's enough to lock up monit though - I expected
> monit would run all its tests in other threads/processes so a system
> call that never returned wouldn't be a problem!  Right now this one
> issue has completely locked up monit so it's not doing any checks at
> all, related to this problem or not!
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Hi Adam,

few questions:

1.) which Monit version it is? (monit -V)

2.) which Monit platform it is? (linux/freebsd/... ?)

3.) please can you provide backtrace of monit?:

        gdb <path>/monit -p <monit's pid>
        gdb> thr apply all bt

4.) please send monit log (enabled with "set logfile" statement)

Regards,
Martin