monit-general

Re: 127.0.0.1 isn't the same as localhost

From: Werner Flamme
Subject: Re: 127.0.0.1 isn't the same as localhost
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 06:28:07 +0100

Smith, Graham - Computing Technical Officer [05.01.2017 20:09]:
> Something simple that eluded me for a while today - I'll send this out just
> in case it helps someone else.
>
> In my control file I had:
>
> allow 127.0.0.1
>
> But I couldn't view monit status or monit summary on the command line. I kept
> getting:

[...]
> That made me go back and look at the authentication, but all looked ok. I
> swapped
> allow 127.0.0.1 for allow localhost and all was good again. I pinged localhost
> and it resolved to ::1   aha! so it's an ipv6 resolution not ipv4!
> I should have spotted this quicker. And of course ::1 works instead of
> localhost in the control file.
>
> This is 5.20.0 on Debian Jessie by the way. Probably the same happens in all
> current distros.

This has nothing to do with Monit as a software. It is a problem with
any host that has entries in /etc/hosts that look like

127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

Here, you assign the same hostname (localhost) to two different IP
addresses. If you remove the single string "localhost" after "::1" and
leave the other entries on the line untouched, you have this problem
solved as well. That's how I handle it on my hosts for years now.

Werner