Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: GCC and Monotone

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: GCC and Monotone
Date: 03 Dec 2003 11:16:56 -0700

>>>>> "graydon" == graydon hoare <address@hidden> writes:

graydon> if you see something you like in org.gnu.gcc.contrib.bob,
graydon> approve of it, and try propagating his branch back to
graydon> org.gnu.gcc. if it fails, it means his changes didn't
graydon> merge. leave it.

The document I wrote had a sort of fixme for "if I accept your change,
I accept your tree".  This scenario is similar.  At least until cherry
picking exists, it isn't that easy to approve of something you like in
isolation -- you have to like the whole thing.

graydon> he'll figure out something's wrong since you approved but
graydon> didn't propagate his change. if it was ok, take a look at the
graydon> results of the propagate.

Another vague concern of mine is that people won't notice things like
this.  Communications with monotone, so far, seem a bit less certain
than they are with cvs.  For instance, there's no real commit
notification.

For GCC I think we should go entirely with mail or news for transport,
at least for the core developers.  That will help notifications a bit;
commit notification won't be different from the commit itself.

Tom