[Monotone-devel] Re: Problem with keys handling in monotone

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problem with keys handling in monotone
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:16:25 -0500

Lorenzo Campedelli wrote:

while trying to locally use the new netsync feature of
monotone  0.10, I think I found a problem in key
management.
It looks like the keydata field in the public_keys
table
was stored with the trailing CR in 0.9, and without it
in 0.10. This causes a different computation of the
hash field in the same table depending on whether the
key was generated on 0.9 or 0.10 versions.
You can reproduce the problem following the steps
found in the attached file.

yes, I'm aware of this fault. christof petig ran into it already. there is, as far as I'm aware, only one instance in which this is a problem: when you initially migrate your database from the 0.9 schema to the 0.10 schema, the initial hash value calculated is wrong. 0.9 didn't actually store key hash values, that was introduced in 0.10. it's just the migration function which makes a mistake (it doesn't strip whitespace).

you need to issue "monotone reindex <collection>" to trigger a full re-hashing of all contents and rebuilding of the merkle trees for <collection>. anyone who wants to play with netsync on an existing database will need to do this. it doesn't matter which collection you name, I usually just have it build a collection for my default branch net.venge.monotone.

I have marked an entry in the BTS to do a full review of all the uses of base64-encoded content (the base64 encoder breaks lines and inserts whitespace).

Is it correct to send directly to you this kind of
reports, or should I write to the mailing-list?

you can mail me or the mailing list. I tend to prefer the mailing list -- and/or the bug tracking system, don't be shy about flooding it with reports -- so the issue is archived in public and we can track it. also please do not mail me at work (@redhat.com) since I am only allowed to work on monotone on my spare time. my @pobox.com address is best.

-graydon