[Monotone-devel] file:// protocol for URLs

From: Herve Quiroz
Subject: [Monotone-devel] file:// protocol for URLs
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:33:57 +0200

Hi all,

First of all, I just managed to install monotone on FreeBSD and let me
say monotone rocks. I was getting headaches with TLA (I even started to
develop a wrapper to hide the complexity of TLA) and its naming
convention from outer space...

I plan to use monotone with an USB key to carry a "mobile" mirror depot
between my office and home (where I have no internet connection, yet). I
would use it to synchronize my two "local" depots. But there are some
issues with this scheme:

First, monotone won't allow me to use a depot on an USB key, complaining
about the lack of large file support in the kernel (the FS on the USB
key is FAT32, which I can't change because it is also my MP3 player). Is
there a way for me to handle this? So far, I am moving the depot out of
the USB device everytime I need to synchronize...

Next, I am forced to use the netsync protocol to synchronize my local
depot with my "mobile" depot (the one on the USB key). I am still using
monotone 0.10 and I haven't yet printed docs from version 0.11 but I
didn't find anything to synchronize two depots without any network
access. On the other hand, I am new to monotone (one night
aproximatively) so I could have missed some command in the docs. IMHO,
the support of file:// protocol for URLs (required for fetch/post
operations) would fit nicely in this case.

Regardless, if anyone is using monotone the same way I intend to (or if
you have an idea on how I should use monotone in this particular case),
I would be glad if you could share your experience on this list.

Herve