Re: [Monotone-devel] PostgreSQL support

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] PostgreSQL support
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:38:32 -0600

joel reed wrote:
i had 3 reasons.

1) much more familiarity and comfort with PostgreSQL than SQLite, regarding tools, drivers, scalability, etc.

2) the customized SQLite page size seemed to make mono's SQLite driver
barf, which made me concerned about interoperability with other SQLite
drivers, like SQLiteODBC.

3) i was intrigued by the possibilites of exposing a single
PostgreSQL repository to multiple monotone clients, rather than exposing
a monotone server.

It seems to me that I read somewhere that one of the reasons for using a SQL based database rather than something like berkely db was the potential for porting to other SQL based databases.

I've have wondered a bit about how monotone might perform on a "real" client/server database though. I have the impression that sqlite is *much* faster that say postgres might be and I also have the impression that monotone is rather "chatty" in terms of the queries it issues. With oracle/sybase/postgres chatty often implies slow.

--
Cheers,
Derek