Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: polyton[ey]

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: polyton[ey]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 20:08:13 +0200

graydon hoare wrote:

(curious: show of hands, how many people here would really like a GUI?)

It's pretty much the only sane way to be doing cherry-picking, so yes, I'd like one. Yes, one could do this with ncurses, but this kind of thing gets painful quickly - plus a GUI is, bizarrely, more likely to be portable :-)

For general operations like committing, updating, diffing, logging, etc., a GUI's not *that* interesting to me. For stuff with trees, though, the natural interface would be a GUI. Even normal operations are easier with a GUI for the example that you want to perform an operation on 20 files out of a directory of 200 - 20 clicks are generally lots faster than 20 "type start of file then press tab then uniqueify it a bit more, then tab, lather, rinse, repeat until you have the whole filename" operations...

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.