Re: [Monotone-devel] Subdirectory support

From: Adam Logghe
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Subdirectory support
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 11:36:02 -0700

hmmm... I can see this being a semi-common scenario, Monotone itself
might use this capability.

However, how would you add the syntax so as not to complexify the nicely
simple Monotone commands of today? I'm an Arch refugee so I tend to
value Monotone for that simplicity.

Further- wouldn't your problem be more simply solved by using basic
shell scripting? I would think one of the only operations you want to do
"all at once" would be something like a checkout. Most other operations
would get unmanageable if you were doing them all at once ie merges etc.
Commits generally deserve individual comments (and consideration) for
another example.

The way I would approach it (I'm not needing this myself right now so
take with a grain of salt) would be to create a dependent project shell
script that I version controlled in the master project. I assume the
script could be as simple as a series of "cd blah/" and "monotone
checkout blah"? Maybe some file copies and symlinking to prep them?

You would then be left with a two step checkout ie master project and
then run the dependencies checkout script.

Adam