RE: [Monotone-devel] Breaking out sqlite and lua for debian (Was: using

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: RE: [Monotone-devel] Breaking out sqlite and lua for debian (Was: using sqlite as provided in debian unstable)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 02:47:24 -0700

>===== Original Message From Tomas Fasth <address@hidden> =====
>Unless there are serious problems involved, I would prefer to leave
>sqlite and lua out of monotone proper for debian and instead have it
>to depend on the separate packages as distributed in debian. I
>therefore need to know more about possible issues with monotone as
>currently released, with regard to the official releases of sqlite
>and lua as provided independently in debian unstable. Anyone?

Can I put in a vote for _not_ breaking out sqlite?  It would be rather
obnoxious to have the Debian monotone and everyone else's monotone be binary
incompatible.

E.g.: What if you start using the package, and then decide to switch to the
latest development version for some new feature?  What if you were using
self-compiled or graydon-released versions, but now that it's packaged you
want to switch to it?  Suddenly all your existing databases are broken, and
IIRC the error message is really quite uninterpretable, since sqlite 2 doesn't
actually provide any way to detect this problem.  What if you're using
monotone on a heterogenous network with a shared home directory -- if you use
the .deb on one machine, and the .rpm on another, your databases will only
work if you're logged into the same machine it was created on.

Besides which, it won't be terribly long until sqlite 3 is released, at which
point this will stop being an issue and the library can be broken out.  But
until then...

(I don't think any of these arguments apply to lua; AFAIK it should be fine to
break it out, at least assuming that mkstemp has been converted into a proper
lua extension as someone claimed.)