Re: [Monotone-devel] Status update

From: Olivier Andrieu
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Status update
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:37:23 +0100 (CET)

 > Nathaniel Smith [Wed, 17 Nov 2004]:
 >   - Currently there are two heads for .changesets, the ones from me
 >     and from Joel; excitingly, this is our first real criss-cross
 >     merge!  Unfortunately, what this means in practice is that merging
 >     is really annoying, because the common ancestor chosen is
 >     sufficiently high up that one has to merge ~280 conflicts in
 >     documentation tweaks by hand.  Well, at least that's what ediff
 >     claims; ediff also gets out of synch and starts giving huge
 >     spurious conflicts, though, so another tool might do better, I
 >     dunno.  I am wondering though if this means it's time to add a
 >     'monotone merge [left right [ancestor]]' command, and whether that
 >     would help...

I'm not sure but ediff has a useful option that might help in this
case. It can skip over zones for which only one of the variant is
different from the ancestor. By default ediff use the
different-from-the-ancestor version for the merge buffer, so with this
option, you only have to review the regions that actually clash (where
both variants are different from the ancestor). You can enable this by
typing `$$'.

--
   Olivier