[Monotone-devel] Trying to understand the ideas behind cherrypicking...

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Trying to understand the ideas behind cherrypicking...
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:57:19 +0100 (CET)

Hi guys,

something prompted me to take a closer look at cherrypicking.  First
of all, I'm not at all convinced this would be an advantage to have,
but perhaps I'm just lagging behind, so I'm willing to have an open
mind about this.

What exactly are we supposed to accomplish with cherrypicking?  As far
as I udnerstand the idea in arch, it's basically picking one or
several patches (diffs, manifests, revisions?) and apply them on
whatever you currently have in your working directory, possibly
including a commit directly after.

Is it necessary to record some kind of information about this event in
the database?  I could see that the result might have a cert for each
applied patch, to express what has already been applied, is there more
that needs being recorded?  I could imagine 'monotone agraph' could
use that extra information and generate another type of arrow in the
graph, maybe dotted?

I just looked at bug report #5677 in savannah, and I've a hard time
understanding what it means.  What would the revisions P, Q and R be,
exactly?

Thoughts, ideas?

Cheers,
Richard