[Monotone-devel] restrictions branch merged

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] restrictions branch merged
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:29:52 -0500

hi,

I've merged derek's net.venge.monotone.restrictions branch. this provides, at long last, the facility for doing most operations "per file". for example:

  monotone commit <file> ...
  monotone log <file> ...
  monotone diff <file> ...

now work; they act as the "full tree" versions do, only restricted to a view of the files you specify. this means that a few commands had a change to their syntax, a couple things which were positional arguments turned into --options, but this has been done systematically (I think). the rule is: only the first positional argument is a command. all further positional arguments are filenames now, and any other command-specific arguments should be --options. if you find places where this rule is still violated, please report and/or fix them.

in addition, commands run in subdirectories of a working copy work their way back up to the "project root" containing MT, prefixing path arguments you describe in the subdirectory on the fly. this serves to permit restriction to the subdirectory; for example if you are in foo/bar/, and you run "monotone diff .", it behaves as though you did:

  (cd ../.. && monotone diff foo/bar)

which is a fair bit more CVS-ish in behavior. perhaps it can be tuned a bit, but in general this is a great UI improvement. thanks derek! this is good, tidy work, which we've had bugs open on since day one.

-graydon