Re: [Monotone-devel] problem with update after merge (was: Re: db query

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] problem with update after merge (was: Re: db query error on propagate, monotone 0.16)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:43:02 -0800

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:56:54PM +0100, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 21.01.2005, 00:36 -0800 schrieb Nathaniel Smith:
> > The problem is that 'update' doesn't handle discontinuous branches.
>
> Discontinuous branches also cause weird layout in monotone-viz.  Maybe
> it would be worth-wile to think about enforcing connected branches at
> all times?  The price to pay would be to actually perform the "silly"
> merges I think.  I believe ClearCase (blush) does it that way, calling
> it "trivial" merges.

Hrm.  My gut reaction is to fix monotone-viz, not this behavior, since
there are other unavoidable (though somewhat rarer) ways to create
discontinuous branches anyway.

Also, I know I thought about this when adding that behavior to
propagate and decided that there was some compelling reason why what
you suggest would be a bad idea, enough so to write down checks to
make sure it couldn't happen accidentally... but now I forget what it
was.  The "taking a shower" method of remembering didn't work; I guess
I'll try the "demonstrate one's ignorance in public" method now...

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould