Re: [Monotone-devel] popt buggy

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] popt buggy
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 21:51:07 -0800

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:35:26PM -0500, Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
> > So, for anyone who wants to venture into popt source, here follows a
> > patch I created to fix this particular problem, and that I'm going to
> > send back to the Debian maintainers.  It doesn't solve everything, but
> > it does remove the worst stumbling block.  With that, monotone can
> > actually handle several -@ on the command line with no problem.
>
> What about non-debian users? Do the send patches back to the main authors?

Popt seems to be orphaned upstream, not to mention how long it would
take for this bugfix to propagate out to users even if not...

I think our only reasonable choices are "ship our popt" (like we already
ship lua, crypto++, bits of boost, sqlite, libidn, and netxx), or
"find another library and ship that" (not much better, unless someone
finds a library that's a lot better than popt... but all this pointer
twiddling still does make me nervous :-)).

"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield