Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone: fatal: std::exception: Gunzip: CRC ch

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone: fatal: std::exception: Gunzip: CRC check error
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:08:00 -0700

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:41:06PM -0400, Nathan Cournia wrote:
> A little more info.
>
> I decided to run `db check` on my database.  Unfortunately, I get the
> same CRC error.  The debug log is attached.
>
> Is it possible to get a list of revisions from the database (without a
> working copy)?  I'm thinking about running db kill_rev_locally on the
> last revision, but unfortunately I'm unsure what the revision number
> is.

The only cause I know of for that "CRC error" is that your database
has somehow become corrupted; the only other time I've seen it, it was
because the IDE controller on venge.net was dying.  I'd be a little
worried about that :-).

If that is the problem, then there's no particular reason to think it
happened in the last revision; in fact, since it seems to be a problem
with file data, rather than revision data, you'll have the same error
any time you try to check out any revision that includes that version
of that file.

The problem in your log is in the file with hash
'1052f36ab61b0a4874a459e2c2b2784c606975bb'.  If you can find another
copy of a bitstream with that hash, you could use
  $ monotone db execute "delete from files where id =
'1052f36ab61b0a4874a459e2c2b2784c606975bb'"
  $ monotone fload <file-with-that-hash
and it might fix it.

I'd still be worried that the corruption might be more widespread, or
that it would come back again, though.

Fortunately, if you've ever run 'sync' or 'push', you have a backup of
your database somewhere, that you can refetch from.  (If you do throw
out this db, though, make sure to save your private key first.)

Of course, it's possible there's some other cause.

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey