Re: [Monotone-devel] proposal for integrating manual and CLI help more c

From: Marcel van der Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] proposal for integrating manual and CLI help more closely
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:31:01 +0200

On 24 jul 2005, at 13:27, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 09:54:43AM +0200, Marcel van der Boom wrote:

3. mtn help command (instead of the --help option) is used to access
that collection of man pages
4. the --help option displays the synopsis only with a mention to use
mtn help 'command' to get detailed info

Minor quibble: It seems somewhat surprising that 'foo --help' and
'help foo' are different.
Yeah, i can relate to that. Not a big issue. It would make sense to me:
mt --help <whatever> -> short usage instruction (option applies to mt)
mt help <whatever> -> perform the help command on whatever

but if they would do the same, fine with me.

Bigger concern: How do we display these man pages?  In particular
keeping in mind that we need to work on win32, which has no man page
infrastructure in place (i.e., shelling out to 'man
monotone-<command name>' doesn't work).
I used man format as that gave the quickest route to the prototype in my environment. I'm not sure there is a common denominator on all platforms we could use, but 'man' seemed the most logical choice, considering it's also a lightweight thing which could be put on windows. (if only by distributing a mingw/msys/cygwin man.exe along with monotone.)

Actually putting the 'help pages' in the man db/hierarchy is not directly needed but we might as well.

marcel
--
Marcel van der Boom
HS-Development BV               --   http://www.hsdev.com