Re: [Monotone-devel] A cornucopia of issues

From: Matt Johnston
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A cornucopia of issues
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:30:16 +0800

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 12:08:37AM -0600, Ryan Hinton wrote:

> (1)  I added a package for GCC 3.3.2, downloaded monotone 0.21, and hit
> another snag.  I had to add "#include <cstdarg>" to database.hh.  It
> uses a va_list type.  I'm suggesting this as a patch.

Richard moved a stdarg.h include to database.hh just after
0.21, does that fix it?

> (2)  Next issue.  In order to get my feet wet and suggest this patch, I
> tried to pull the monotone source.  I pull about 9MB of data and then
> begin spewing.  Incidentally, there is a noticeable stall at the 5.4MB.
> Here is what I see.
>
> myhost% monotone --db=mt.db --key="" pull venge.net net.venge.monotone
..
> monotone:     8.9M |    467.4k |     7678 |    2721 |            0
>
> I get the multiple lines hitting <ENTER> to keep my SSH session from
> dropping (anyone know how to STOP THAT?!).  I think the resulting
(have a look at ServerAliveInterval in the ssh_config manpage perhaps)
> monotone: warning: discarding revision data packet
> 6b72e940a0c1f3e9d79a60164964786aaea74798 with unmet dependencies
>
> I can send a core dump if that would be useful.  Any suggestions on
> getting the monotone source?  Is there any way to do a partial pull?

It should bomb out with an error message, probably printed
above the discarded packet warnings. If your network
connection is having timeout problems (the ssh problems you
mentioned), it's possible that there isn't any data
transferred for long enough that the connection times out,
and monotone fails. Are you going through any strange
routers etc? The error message would be useful.

> (3)  Next I tried to get a client to test my OpenBSD server.  So I tried
> to compile 0.21 on my FreeBSD box.  It fails.  Here is the error.
>
> /usr/local/include/boost/dynamic_bitset/dynamic_bitset.hpp:548: error:
> no matching function for call to
> `make_non_const(boost::dynamic_bitset<unsigned char,
> std::allocator<unsigned char> >::<anonymous enum>)'

I'm not too sure, though googling suggests that it's a boost
error in the bsd config file, see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2005-January/050580.html

Are you using a boost port from after mid-February?

> (4)  I am having trouble running monotone chroot'ed.  This is probably
> user error, but any help is appreciated.
>
> myhost# chroot /var/www/ monotone --db=/var/monotone/myhost.mtdb serve
> myhostname "myhostname-reversed.*"
> monotone: fatal: std::exception: OS_Rng: open /dev/urandom operation
> failed with error 6
>
> Notice I'm still running as root.  (Same results for the _monotone user
> I created.)  I have a /var/www/dev/urandom file with permissions 755.
> Here is the output from monotone --full-version just for fun.

The /dev/urandom file is a special device, you'll need to create it with
mknod /var/www/dev/random  c  2 3
or something similar (those device numbers may be wrong, I just googled).

> (5)  Finally, an easy one.  I am trying to find the best way to run
> monotone as a server.  Should I add it to rc.local?  Should I use
> nohup?  Run it in the background using my user account?  I saw someone
> suggested using runit, but OpenBSD 3.5 doesn't have a packaged version.
> I can try to download and install it if it's the best solution.  The
> same thread mentioned some post-install information/scripts I haven't
> found yet.  Where can I find that information?  Any other suggestions on
> how to securely run and use the monotone server?

You can run it just from startup scripts, though it's useful
if it's running under some some sort of supervisor program
which can restart it if it stops running for some reason.
Nathaniel's docs are at
http://frances.vorpus.org/~monotone/netsync-setup.html ,
though that uses runit - I'm not sure of standard
alternatives on BSDs. Also note that the permission hook
format has changed since that was written.

Matt