Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: sha1sum doesn't match revision number

From: Todd A. Jacobs
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: sha1sum doesn't match revision number
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 02:03:37 -0700

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 09:58:48PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:

       % monotone cat manifest | grep vocab.cc
       cebf734fb6a83a66665786e2c1486d4934137066  vocab.cc
       % sha1sum vocab.cc
       cebf734fb6a83a66665786e2c1486d4934137066

But the current manifest contains only the current file set, right? Not the list of all hashes of vocab.cc ever commited? If I understand the purpose of the manifest correctly, then searching it for an historical hash might not be very useful unless I checked each previous revision of the manifest until I found a match.

As discussed previously, you can't go from that hash to a unique
revision, because it may appear in many (and almost certainly does),
if the contents of the file stays the same in some revisions.

But that's okay. Generally speaking, one would be looking for the most recent revision in which a given version of the file exists. The use case you're pointing out, where it matters which revision a particular file was part of, gets us back to the earlier thread of keywords, and that wasn't where I was going this time around. :)

I think the more-general use case that monotone isn't currently addressing is the case where *loosely-associated* files (LaTeX documents, rc files, web sites, etc.) are being maintained in the same database, rather than tightly-coupled ones (such as the codebase for a single application).

It may be useful to go from a hash to a list of all revisions which
contain it (together with the filenames, since the same contents may
be in files with different names, of course), but I don't think

I agree, that would be extremely useful.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g