[Monotone-devel] MT directory renaming (triggers fatal logic error)

From: Stefan Behnel
Subject: [Monotone-devel] MT directory renaming (triggers fatal logic error)
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:51:19 +0100

Hi!

First of all, I'm not subscribed to this list, so please reply directly.

My problem is: monotone keeps crashing on me when I'm trying to move a
directory into a subdirectory, i.e.

NOW:
dir1/some-versioned-files
dir2/some-versioned-files
newdir

DESIRED:
newdir/dir1/...
newdir/dir2/...

I tried:

1) move dir, mt rename, mt commit
2) mt rename, move dir, mt commit
3) mt rename, mt commit, [move dir]

All three fail with a message like this during "mt commit":
----------------
monotone: fatal: std::logic_error: change_set.cc:380: invariant
'I(isect.empty())' violated
monotone:
monotone: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
----------------

I removed the entries in 'MT/work' between each attempt. I also tried adding
the new directory, but that didn't help either.

I first used mt 0.17, which failed, then installed mt 0.23 and migrated, but
afterwards, mt failed again. This is really, really, REALLY, annoying. I tried
to find any help on renaming directories on the web, but all I found is that
monotone is 'great for renaming'. Well, obviously it isn't. If it's a bug,
it's been in there for quite a while.

I would have attached the debug log, but at a quick scan I found that it is
packed with sensitive data, so I won't send it to a public mailing list.

I still hope that someone can give me a hint how this is normally supposed to
work.

Thanks for any help,
Stefan