[Monotone-devel] [NAIVE] Question

From: Yury Polyanskiy
Subject: [Monotone-devel] [NAIVE] Question
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:54:09 -0500

Hi all!

I have a naive question. I'm planning to import my projects from another
version control system for which I couldn't find any free tool (guess
which VCS I used ;-).

If the tree was linear then of course there're no problems. But if I
have branches I need to be able
1) to commit children to arbitrary revisions and
2) to merge any two heads with a specific result.

The first is not a problem of course: I can checkout needed revision and
then commit a new one (creating multiple heads). However, this will be
painfully slow.

For the second part I see that "monotone explicit_merge" gives me a way
to do that. But how to specify the result of the merge? The only way I
can see is:
a) set manual_merge flag for all files
b) create a merge3 hook that will merely return files from some
predefined directory.

However, this seems to be TOO stupid given the fact that I already have
ENTIRE merged tree (which I extracted from old VCS of course).

So my question is: what is the recommended way of doing 1) and 2)
besides hacking monotone sources?

Thanks all in advance!

Yury.