[Monotone-devel] heads-up for developers and translators -- change in lo

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] heads-up for developers and translators -- change in logging
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:09:59 -0800

I've just committed a change with a few parts:
  -- there is a new i18n_format type, which acts sort of like a
     boost::format, but is explicitly for translated strings
  -- F and FP now return i18n_format's; P/W/N/E now require
     i18n_format's.  Hopefully this will be useful in the future to
     help straighten out charset issues; in principle i18n_format's %
     operator can be taught to do charset conversion automatically,
     and refuse to accept strings of unknown charset.  We are not very
     good right now at converting things out of UTF-8.
  -- L still requires a boost::format; this means that L(F()) is now a
     compiler error!  There is a new macro "FL" which is just like
     F(), except it doesn't call gettext() and it returns a
     boost::format.

So, for developers:
  -- going forward, always use L(FL()) instead of L(F())

And for translators:
  -- log (debug) messages no longer appear as translateable strings;
     this should make your job much easier, and matches what a few
     of you have requested.
  -- tangentially, I also fixed the XGETTEXT_OPTIONS thing last night,
     so intltool-update should work again with latest mainline.  Sorry
     about that.

And for people maintaining branches:
  -- sorry about that, hope this isn't too disruptive...

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco