Re: [Monotone-devel] Killing heads, again

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Killing heads, again
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:05:25 +0000

Justin Patrin <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Forgive me if I'm being ignorant somehow (I'm not a heavy monotone
> user) but isn't this what "disapprove" is for?

No.  disapprove commits a reversal of a revision.  So if I have a
graph:

digraph G {
        base -> a;
        a -> b;
        base -> c;
}

(In dot notation.)

And I decide that really the base->a->b line isn't right, so I
disapprove b, all I end up with is a reversal of b (call it unb), so I
have base->a->b->unb.  So heads of that branch reports two heads, c
and unb.  (monotone-viz shows these as diamonds.)

So I'm still forced to merge, and if the significant revision is
really a, that could be annoying.  And if I disapprove a, then I end
up with yet another head, this time una, so that makes things worse.
(I'm also not sure whether disapprovals can reverse removing files in
the appropriate sense.  My impression was that no revision could do
that---once a file's dead it's dead.  However, I'm not sure that's
that important.)