Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:36:43 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:21:57 -0500, Yury Polyanskiy
<address@hidden> said:

ypolyans> Now HOW to commit a tree as a child to TWO revisions? I.e. I
ypolyans> want current revision to be a child of revA and revB (as if
ypolyans> it were a merge, though I did all merging already and don't
ypolyans> need any monotone merge assistance).

You could actually do that back before the introduction of changesets,
since the ancestry was defined with "ancestor" certs.  It was
dangerous to do so, though, you could get som pretty loopy results
from that.

These days, you would probably have to create the revision yourself,
by hand, and sign it, insert it into the database along with all the
necessary deltas and files, and if you're playing with 0.26pre1, you'd
have to add a bunch of rosters manually, and I can't even begin to
tell you how to do that.  Either way, if you do that, be warned that
such a procedure is VERY ERROR-PRONE, so I just wouldn't go there if I
was you.

So, my question to you is, why didn't you use explicit_merge, and then
apply further changes on the resulting revision?  That would seem sooo
much simpler.

Cheers,
Richard

-----