Re: [Monotone-devel] Syncing databases without using a network?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Syncing databases without using a network?
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:23:32 -0800

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 03:34:32PM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> Be careful with USB keys.  In my experience, you'll run in to integer
> size problems with the database format.  For example, I cannot access
> a monotone database (SQLite) on my amd64 Linux port that was created
> on a i386 Linux port.

Ugh, really?  Can anyone confirm this?  Sqlite is _supposed_ to have a
portable file format.  It's possible we're screwing something up in
our build system for it, but some quick looking doesn't reveal many
knobs we could mess up.

> I hadn't thought of this before, but it might be useful to store DB's
> in arch-dependent directories or perhaps name them accordingly.

Probably even more useful to fix whatever bug is causing this to be
necessary :-).

Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic
realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets, theologians, philosophers,
philologists, psychologists, biologists and neurologists, along with
whatever blood can be got out of grammarians. - Russ Rymer