Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch] PRAGMA page_size=8192

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch] PRAGMA page_size=8192
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:44:21 -0800

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 05:43:24PM -0800, Joe Wilson wrote:
> I think this is the file where the pragma goes.

Yep!

> The 8192 byte SQLite page size reduces most large monotone
> databases by 23% while requiring no c++ code changes.
> It will work with any monotone version.
> Database read access is marginally faster.
> There is no downside.

Yeah... but I'm going to defer the patch for _right_ now, because
we're right in the middle of a bunch of debate about much more
far-reaching changes, so while this helps right now, there's really no
way to know whether it will help, hurt, or what, next week :-).  Once
things settle down a bit and we have some plan for where we'll going,
we can figure out what the story on page sizes is...

Thanks for the patch, though, and while I'm here, thanks for your work
trying to help out!  It's unfortunate I had limited computer access
for a bit there, and couldn't clarify what exactly our problems were
for a bit :-/.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."