Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb Question

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb Question
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:18:49 -0500

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 11:03 -0700, Steven E. Harris wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Other VCSes have historically overloaded the 'update' command, so it
> > performed a bunch of logically unrelated functions -- moving your
> > work in progress, doing merges, reverting files, you name it.
>
> Does "mtn update" merge changes into files modified within the
> workspace? The usage string says

Yes.

> ,----
> | This command modifies your workspace to be based off of a different
> | revision, preserving uncommitted changes as it does so.
> `----
>
> Does "preserving [an] uncommitted change" mean that it doesn't touch
> any file that's been modified, even if file in question has been
> changed in the repository since the pre-"update" revision? If not, how
> does one force the merge? Perhaps this is the pined-for
> merge-in-workspace feature I'm thinking of.

No, merge-in-workspace is so that when you run "mtn merge", instead of
getting a series of xxdiff (or whatever) windows in no particular order
with all work lost if you quit in the middle, you can have the
merge-in-progress in a workspace and look at things in whatever order
over as long a time as you need.

Tim