Re: [Monotone-devel] info during merge on files dropped on one side rece

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] info during merge on files dropped on one side receiving changes on the other side?
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:24:56 -0700

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 07:36:01PM +0200, Marcel van der Boom wrote:
> On 13 jul 2006, at 19:20, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 04:38:50PM +0200, Marcel van der Boom wrote:
> >>mtn: warning: restriction excludes directory 'blah/blah/1'
> >>mtn: warning: restriction excludes directory 'blah/blah/2'
> >>mtn: misuse: invalid restriction excludes required directories
> >
> >This seems weird.  Could you give more details on what exactly you
> >did?  A reproducible test case would be especially nice :-).
>
> I dont have a minimal test case right now, but
>
> mtn diff -f -r `mtn automate heads com.xaraya.core` -r `mtn automate
> heads com.xaraya.core.2.x'
>
> from the current core.db of xaraya will produce one.

I can confirm that:
  wget http://mt.xaraya.com/dbdown/core.db.bz2
  bunzip2 core.db.bz2
  mtn -d core.db diff -r 14e2792217e0ed7f1396530ea8208f61985b9eaf \
                      -r a90e10b3edf73ea300f4b8c8a505c63b9419acb1
fails with:
  mtn: warning: restriction excludes directory
'html/includes/blocklayout/nodes/entities'
  mtn: warning: restriction excludes directory
'html/includes/blocklayout/nodes/tags'
  mtn: misuse: invalid restriction excludes required directories

> >>$mtn propagate one two
> >>mtn: propagating one -> two
> >>mtn: [source] 9ea04ac3c5931d8be40cc3da634708c793b017c4
> >>mtn: [target] 4c48584b4c452245b4ec0fa788f49fb1b16e5d5c
> >>mtn: info: file /path/to/onlyhere.txt changed in 'one' but dropped in
> >>'two'
> >>mtn: info: file /another/file.txt changed in 'one' but renamed in
> >>'two' to /something/else.txt
> >>mtn: info: file /again/nothere.txt changed in 'one' but renamed and
> >>dropped thereafter in 'two'
> >>mtn: [merged] 3a778819764ea9045b8640eee78ae4d4bb61a9dc
> >>$
> >

> >Could you file a bug so we don't forget?
> I will. (how's the plan on replacing that savanah bugtracker coming
> along ;-) )

Currently, I don't think we have even a plan to make a plan.  Not that
it wouldn't be nice to have a better tracker...

> >Also, what kinds of changes are worth warning about?  Content,
> >obviously, but what if it's been renamed on one side and deleted on
> >the other, or had an attr modified on one side but deleted on the
> >other, are those worth warning about?
> attr changes are less relevant i think. The 'generic' case is that in
> refactoring code you move files around, give them better names, split
> them up, move classes to other files etc. All this generates 'native'
> conflicts as monotone understands them but, more hair-pulling if you
> want to track both repositories and on both sides there is active
> development,: "what consequences does this have in terms of what i
> need to do after i get these natives out of the way"
>
> So yeah, renamed/deleted is one, any content change in files which do
> not exist in the destination (be it due to renaming or deletion),
> adding files (taken care of already). The combo's described in the
> manual come to mind (what was it again, mtn automate inventory?) as a
> baseline to start from and reason from there.

Okay.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen