[Monotone-devel] Bug in pull

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Bug in pull
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:42:55 -0700

When I attempt to pull from venge.net, if I don't have any key
specified in my _MTN/options file, everything works fine.  If I have a
key specified, then I get:

mtn: connecting to venge.net
mtn: finding items to synchronize:
mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
mtn:        13977 |   26 |      4625
mtn: bytes in | bytes out | certs in | revs in
mtn:        0 |       345 |        0 |       0
mtn: error: I/O failure while talking to peer venge.net, disconnecting

I have to run mtn with -k "" to force it to do an anonymous pull.  It
would be nice if monotone would automatically fall back to an
anonymous pull if the non-anonymous one is rejected (which is what I
assume is leading to the I/O failure, I can't see the log on venge.net
to verify).  If that can't be easily fixed, then updating the error
message to say something like "if you were trying a pull, try adding
'-k ""' to your command line" would at least explain to people what
was going wrong.  I only discovered the problem with having a key by
accident of running mtn pull in a directory without one.
        -Eric