Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Extending "automate stdio"

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Extending "automate stdio"
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:51:32 -0500

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 16:29 -0700, Steven E. Harris wrote:
> Timothy  Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The input format is currently
> >    'l' <string> [<string> [...]] 'e'
>
> By the way, what does the 'l' stand for? I keep reading it as a one in
> the documentation, its meaning as a letter not being obvious enough to
> resolve the ambiguity.

It's apparently for "list" (and the 'e' is "end"), and comes from
something called "bencoding".

...looking to see what bencoding is, Google gives
http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification . Which shows that the
current input is *exactly* a series of bencoded lists of strings. Which
makes me wonder if maybe it would be good to try to keep the new format
as valid bencoding?

Tim